wudan mountain returns...

bound by faith and blood.

Friday, September 23, 2005

out in a blaze of glory

Judges 16:25-30

While they were in high spirits, they shouted, "Bring out Samson to entertain us." So they called Samson out of the prison, and he performed for them.

When they stood him among the pillars, 26 Samson said to the servant who held his hand, "Put me where I can feel the pillars that support the temple, so that I may lean against them." Now the temple was crowded with men and women; all the rulers of the Philistines were there, and on the roof were about three thousand men and women watching Samson perform. 28Then Samson prayed to the LORD, "O Sovereign LORD, remember me. O God, please strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes." Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other, Samson said, "Let me die with the Philistines!" Then he pushed with all his might, and down came the temple on the rulers and all the people in it. Thus he killed many more when he died than while he lived.


Even though Samson killed more Philistines in death than in his life, I sometimes wonder if the reason his story is told in such detail in Judges is because God wants to warn us that ultimately, the man's way of doing things as seen through Samson (womanizing, being short tempered, killing at will) is ineffective and tragic. Sure, he killed 3000 people, but I wonder how Samson's life would have been different if had used his strength to build up the other Israelites rather than engaging in random acts of violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home